Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Put on your dancing shoes

This card was inspired by the www.splitcoaststampers.com faux leather technique. I was up late last night finishing off this card for my girlfriend. She loves dancing and singing with her kids. She is a true Diva and wonderful friend. It is an honor to have such an interesting and vibrant friend. I made these shoes from my own design, I created a template to use myself.

The background paper is also designed and created by me. Firstly, I used shimmer paper then clear embossed curlicue stamp. Then used pink and apricot colorbox chalk inks on SU linen background stamp. Allow to air dry and then buff with a dry cloth. This doesn't allow the ink to ahere too much to the clear emboss. I have found in the past if I heat gun the ink, it makes it set firm to the clear emboss. I wanted more of a resist effect, so this is how I achieve this particular look. Then I used my DIVA stamp with a pale red colorbox chalk ink. I used the "stamp off" technique here. This means I stamped the image once on the design in full and the next image is stamped off once on a scrap sheet of paper and then applied to the background paper. This gives the background a muted, antique look. I heat set this layer, as I did want it to be a bit bolder. Finally, I give it all another good buff with the clean cloth. Chalks inks work really well on shimmer paper for a reasonably subtle background paper that still holds it's own.

The shoes were made with SU brilliant blue. I ran it through a cuttle bug floral and vine folder and then shaped it a bit. Then I used clear embossing with the heat gun it to make it leather faux.

Stamps: Curlicue, SU linen background, DIVA.
Papers: SU brilliant blue, cream, Bazzil basics watermelon red, cream shimmer paper plain & pin stripe emboss.
Ink: Colorbox chalk - pink, apricot, pale red.
Accessories: Cuttlebug floral vine folder, ribbon organza unknown, SU brads, Swarovski Crystal - Summer Collection (MFT), various paper molding tools, 3D tape, clear embossing powder, liquid glue, copic markers, copic spica pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment